Just in Time: Library Research Workshops!
The Fall 2015 round of workshops started Monday, Oct. 19. Pick up your copy of the October and November schedules in the library today. Workshops are offered Monday through Thursday, at 1:00-1:50pm and/or 5:30-6:30pm. Other times are by appointment only, for groups of 4 or more.
These drop-in workshops consist of a brief overview of the topic, followed by hands-on work. For example, you must bring in the sources (articles, books, URLs) that you're using for your assignment to the workshop on MLA citations so that you can work on formatting them correctly with the librarian's help. You will receive a certificate of attendance for each workshop you attend.
Library research workshops cover seven different topic areas:
- Developing a research topic into a research question
- Tips for using the library's online catalog to find books
- How to use online databases to find articles
- Evaluating a web site's credibility
- Advanced Google search techniques
- Using correct MLA citation formats (APA and ASA formats by appointment only)
- How to avoid plagiarism when you write up your paper